Almond Joy Cookies~Gluten free options
A healthy twist on a cookie classic, filled with almonds and coconut..these yummy bites are hard to stop eating! A perfect homemade substitute for packaged “bars”. Pack them in for a sweet treat at lunch or with coffee on the go..
Ingredients: (all at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. pure cane sugar
- 1 lg. egg separated
- 1 Tbsp. pure almond extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder, tapioca or all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Then add the egg yolk and almond extract and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine together the almond flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Stir until well combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips, slivered almond and coconut.
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg white and remaining 2 Tbs. sugar on high speed until stiff peak form. Gradually fold the beaten egg white into the batter until well combined. Try not to over mix.
- Preheat the oven 350. Lightly grease two baking sheets. Drop 1 tsp. spaced 2 inches apart on the sheet. Place in the heated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool the cookies for 1-2 minute then transfer them to a clean surface or cooling rack. Makes 24-30 cookies.